Total Pageviews

Friday, July 15, 2011

Cherokee Street Treasure

 


l







Painted




I've been looking for a stand for my TV in bedroom for some time now. I had an idea to help my friend decorate his loft with antique wooden doors ( that's a whole different project). Anyways, I knew I couldn't go to the antique shops on Cherokee Street ( you can check out the stores here )and leave empty handed.





















































We walked the store lined streets in search of old doors. We came across a cool little place called Lady Jane's. Jane was actually an old man who chain smoked cigs the whole time we were there. There is a lot of cool stuff there and I headed to the basement to do some digging around. I saw what appeared to be an ornately detailed wooden stand just perfect for a tv. I was sold on it instantly and expected it to be really expensive. I smiled, pulled the "I'm a teacher" card, which I use all the time to wheel and deal at estate sales and garage sales and he said he'd sell it for $40. I was expecting to pay a lot more than that so I didn't even bargain with him.














So here's what I did to this guy:
-Lightly sanded it with a sanding sponge. I like the imperfections so I don't do much sanding.
- Primed it white. You can use any color primer, I just always use a light color on darker pieces of furniture so you can see where you've painted.
- 2 cans of Krylon Blue Ocean Breeze
- Valspar Antique Glaze


Now, I usually paint furniture pretty neutral but I decided to try something different. If I didn't like it, I knew I could easily paint over it. When I finished spraying it it resembled something out of Barbie's dream house. It is a really pretty color but definitely needed to be glazed to tone it down a lot.

The glazing is tedious but really easy. I brush it on making sure to get into the cracks really good, then wipe it off with a damp rag. Glazing is fun because it wipes off really easily. If I don't glaze a project I usually sand it a little to give it an older look.

The color is growing on me. I usually don't paint something this bold, but i do like it!

1 comment:

  1. aimee, bummer about your car. damn turtle park used to be pretty mellow. i have lived off and on in dogtown for 15 years. i would suggest parking up at clayton and tamm in front of felix's bar or in front of the big new condo building. ride down tamm for the ride and your car would be plenty safe overnight. if you come early i'd suggest stopping in felix's for a beer. the owners are both bikers themselves. anywhere near that intersection and your car will not be hassled. people keep an eye out. damn sux your first ride ended on a bad note. dogtown is pretty safe. turtle park is just kinda isolated.

    ReplyDelete